Tuesday, 12 February 2013

Nearly finished





The quilting is done and I'm just finishing up the stitching of the border. The first quilt I made 2ish years ago, I bound by just folding the back over the front edge and machine stitching all around, mitring the corners nicely, but this time I decided to follow the excellent instructions I found on the Silly BooDilly's blog for facing a quilt. Facing just means that the binding doesn't show on the front, which I think works well for the Sunshine Quilt, as having another pattern on the front would have been a bit too much. I can see that it would be brilliant for small art quilts where you don't want a border to show.

I used a pure cotton batting which I found in the local art shop, but it's incredibly thin. It's nice that the whole quilt is 100% cotton, but it would have been great if it had a bit more loft. Perhaps I should have doubled it up. I was tempted to use the super-special 100% wool heirloom batting I bought a while back for the ongoing hand-pieced Jacob's Ladder but resisted!

As usual my biggest problem has been making all my lines straight! No matter how hard I try, they just won't stop wriggling about. So I think I have to just accept that I am a natural-born wriggler and leave it at that. At least until I have a better machine/proper table to work on rather than an old plywood door balanced on drawers which bounces as I stitch... ho hum.... Oh yes, the other big problem I encountered again with this quilt was keeping the bottom layer from getting rucked up when all sandwiched together. Instead of basting the whole thing before starting to quilt, I used safety pins this time to hold everything together,  but every place that was held seemed to pinch up as I was sewing. I think the answer is mainly just to keep practicing, as the more I worked on it, the easier it became to hold the material flat and away from the needle, but I still can't work out what the best way is to keep the layers together at the beginning.

So all I have left to do is finish up the hand-sewing of the border to the back of the quilt and it's all done. I am so pleased with this quilt, I can't stop gazing at it and I am ITCHING to get going on the next one.... but I have neglected Jude and girls for long enough so it'll have to wait! I'm thinking I might make a smaller 'arty' quilt for my sister whose birthday is fast approaching.

Meantime, preparations are beginning for Jessie's birthday.....


Hope you're having a lovely week xx




11 comments:

  1. Maravilhoso teu trabalho! Está linda! beijos,chica e bons preparativos para o aniversário!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow it looks beautiful. So much love has gone into that and what a wonderful heirloom for Milly to pass on down the generations. You are an inspiration as ever x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for your lovely comments! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Chloe,your quilt is amazing!!I love it!You are so talented!!Hope you have a great time on your daughters birthday!Have a lovely week!Kisses to the little ones!!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know about talented Dimi, just very single-minded!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. not being a sew-er but experimenting with stitching in my art work, i have come to a new level of respect for the straight stitched line! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Natural born wriggler..LOL..As far as sewing is concerned,me too on the same boat :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog and loving it. Maybe we can follow each other on GFC or bloglovin? Please feel free to stop by my blog and let me know. XO

    http://mevamarie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hallo Chloe!!!How are you and your family?Hope everything is ok!Have a happy Summer!!Kisses and hugs!
    Dimi..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dimi, thanks for stopping by! I've been neglecting this poor little blog lately ;-( we're all fine thank you, just lots happening with us.... promise to post soon xxx

      Delete

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to write ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...