Thursday 2 February 2012

First gift for baby nearly complete

Two sunny sunny days make me so happy!!!! It's terribly cold, but the sunshine does me so much good and lovely to be able to get the girls playing outside too after so much rain. Mil can spend hours playing with water in the sunshine.

I haven't posted for a while mainly due to feeling exceedingly tired, but I have plenty to write about - at least I think I do until I sit down and try to access it - so I'll try to get a few posts out in the next few days.

My first proper crochet project is nearing completion: a blanket for baby 3:

Hanging in the hedge, as our clothes line has snapped!

Detail: you can see the joins more clearly here (as well as my belly getting in shot as usual)

Each row was made separately in treble crochet and then they were all sewn together with a seam of double crochet added afterwards. I didn't follow any patterns as I just wanted a bright patchwork effect, and although I am really pleased with it, there are a few things I learnt along the way! The main problem with using such a variety of yarn is trying to match the squares up at the end, as they're all slightly different sizes. Next time I would use a similar weight throughout to help keep the squares in proportion. Also, to keep the seams really loose: these were way too tight, adding even more to the crazy ripple effect!

I could probably ease it all into a better shape by blocking it, but I can't be bothered! I'm quite happy with it as it is, plus I'm eager to get going on the next piece as I would LOVE to make a multicoloured blanket for our bed. Especially now I've learnt (on the final strip of this blanket of course!) how to add in new wool without leaving a zillion scrappy ends hanging out which take FOREVER to work in at the end - yup, I still haven't finished them all, yawn.

I've also added a double crochet border in the same dark blue edging yarn just to tidy it all up, and I am wondering now whether it would be overkill to add a pretty scalloped edge as well... I haven't found a decent tutorial yet, so I wouldn't know where to start, but I guess I could probably figure it out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading your comments, thank you for taking the time to write ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...